Sunday, January 2, 2011

Should you ever give a canned speech?















Probably not. You could easily pull a speech out of a library book, or just buy one on the web. But, should you? If you don’t do anything to make it your own, it probably will sound tinny and leave a bad taste in your audience’s mouth.


















I have just one book of model speeches on my shelf. So far I haven’t used any of them. Someday, in a public speaking emergency, I might use one as a starting point. After all, something would be better than nothing.

1 comment:

John said...

I have given one canned speech before. It was the "wear sunscreen" graduation speech that has been popular on YouTube.

I did a terrible job at it. I didn't make it mine. I don't think that necessarily means changing words though.

I learned a lot from giving that speech.